Evidence Based Guideline
- Preventing Falls and Harm from Falls in Older People: Best Practice Guidelines for Australian Hospitals 2009
Evidence Based Guideline – Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care, Preventing Falls and harm from Falls in Older People: Best Practice Guidelines for Australian Hospitals, Residential Aged Care Facilities and Community Care 2009.
- CEC Hospital Falls Package– The CEC NSW Falls Prevention Program has developed the CEC Hospital Package of resources to assist Local Health Districts/Networks with the implementation of the National Safety and Quality Health Service Standards (NSQHSS) Standard 10: Preventing falls and harm from falls.
- Watch video recording by Dr Julia Poole to support the NSQHSS Standard 10: Preventing falls and harm from falls:
- CEC Falls Prevention one page flyers for patients and carers
- Hospital Falls prevention Strategies – 2 page summary of falls prevention resources for those working in hospitals
Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Healthcare (ACSQHC)
The commission has produced three resources to guide health service managers, clinicians and consumers in improving care of people with cognitive impairment.
This standard and accompanying resources provide guidance to consumers, clinicians and health services on delivering appropriate care to people at risk of, or with, delirium
This website provides resources for the appropriate care of older people with confusion in hospital including identification and management of delirium and a range of educational videos.
This website has a range dementia resources including tools, reports, publications and presentations on dementia.
This website has a range of resources for health professionals,families, carers and people with dementia, there are a range of help sheets with practical strategies for commonly raised issues in dementia.
- Falls Prevention Education Resource The aim of this resource is to facilitate staff to discuss common fall events on their wards and take action to prevent them.There are 4, fall case studies of varying severity that are highlighted in this package; they are examples of actual fall events that have occurred in hospital. Following the fall event is the post fall procedures and an alternative approach to prevent the fall. The information is based on the Safety and Quality Council Best Practice Guidelines for Preventing Falls and Harm from Falls in older people, 2005 and actual Fall events recorded in the NSW Health Incident Information Management System (IIMS).
Falls Risk Screening Tools
- Ontario Modified Stratify Sydney Scoring -The transfer and mobility scoring components of the Ontario Modified Stratify falls risk tool (Papaioannou et al 2004, BMC Medicine 2004, 2:1) were confusing for staff. These components have been reconfigured to be more intuitive, and do not change the outcome. The tool has been renamed to Ontario Modified Stratify: Sydney Scoring.
- National Ageing Research Institute (NARI) Falls Risk for Hospitalised Older People (FRHOP) tool PDF
This tool can be used for patient admission and after an acute episode.
Falls Prevention Equipment
- The Independent Living Centre provides information and advice on equipment for independence in everyday living, communication, mobility, home modifications and community services and have a large searchable database.